To equip Hillcrest Primary Learners who have special educational needs with the confidence and skills to function to their full potential.
The establishment of the Hillcrest Primary Remedial Unit in 2002 arose to meet the needs of the increasing number of learners, both at Hillcrest and at neighbouring schools, requiring full-time specialised remedial intervention. Building the child’s self-esteem is as important as assisting them to overcome their specific learning difficulties.
Special Features / Offerings
- Grades 1– 7.
- Teacher / Learner Ratio 1:18 (average).
- Short-term remediation with the intention of returning the learner to mainstream within 2—3 years.
- Qualified, caring Remedial Educators.
- LSEN Unit Computer Centre – Twice-weekly sessions for Literacy and Numeracy practice.
- Fully equipped reading room.
- A flexible curriculum offering intensive Language and Numeracy, as well as Computers, Life-skills, Physical Education, Performing and Visual Arts, Natural and Social Science.
- Full integration with the school: assemblies, playgrounds, extra-mural activities (sporting and cultural).
- Individual/Group Speech and Language therapy for learners requiring assistance in Grades 1 to 3. Speech and Language Class sessions in Grades 1 to 4.
- Short term counselling conducted by school psychologists.
- On site Occupational Therapy available at parents cost.
- Bright, airy classrooms with modern furniture.
- Venues in which outside professionals and therapists conduct sessions arranged privately by parents, at own cost.