South African Schools Act 84 of 1996
HPS is a State School (Section 21), subject to the South African Schools Act 84 of 1996 (SASA ‘96). The Governance, subject to this Act, is vested in the hands of a democratically elected School Governing Body (SGB), constituted as follows:
- 6 parents,
- the Principal,
- 3 teachers
- and 1 non-educator
Business and networking skills are required of members.
It is imperative that Hillcrest Primary has a strong and skilled SGB team leading it at all times, as it plays a crucial role in protecting and promoting the interests of the school, as well as developing it to meet future needs.
- adopt a constitution and mission statement
- recommend to Head of Department the appointment of teachers and non-teachers
- prepare an annual budget and determine school fees for adoption by parents (put in place procedures to provide for total/partial/conditional exemptions); support the Principal, teachers and staff in the performance of their professional duties
- adopt policies including admissions, code of conduct, safety and security and language
- determine the extra-mural programme
- purchase textbooks, educational materials and equipment
- administer and control the school’s property (buildings and grounds)
- encourage parents to offer voluntary services to the school
- promote the interests of the school and employ additional human resources to ensure provision of quality education.